Wednesday, March 26, 2014

PATRICK MCKELVEY

            “I grew up in Indiana, lived in southern Virginia for about 20 years and then returned to Indiana where I have been doing artwork on and off for the last couple decades. I like to draw and paint from life and from memory or imagination. The mountains, streams, farms and fields, the people and the houses, the skies, seasons, even the weeds I find very appealing. Some paintings are done on location, some are based on photographs, while others are complete inventions done in the studio.

            “I’ve been doodling and sketching as long as I can remember. In the mid 70’s I attended the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts in Philadelphia for two semesters. Prior to that time I worked primarily in pencil, pen and ink and water color. After the Academy I worked almost exclusively in oil, with an occasional pencil drawing now and then.”     
                                                                                         -Patrick McKelvey





            Painting from memory was a practice often used by landscape artists like Georgia O’Keeffe and Vincent Van Gogh, and it serves Mr. McKelvey as well. Patrick’s paintings exhibit mastery brush strokes with subtle texturizing through thicker use of oil in some and smoother consistencies in others. He captures the lushness and variety of the Pennsylvanian landscape, and his works are extraordinary additions to our gallery. Pictured above is “Early Morning Mist.” $560.00.

No comments:

Post a Comment