Wednesday, March 12, 2014

CHERE WINNEK-SHAWER

            “I have always like to make things, in wood, metal, or whatever was at hand. And I have always loved to learn. However, for many years I was so busy with life that I almost forgot about that desire to create. First it was having children, then school with a Ph. D in Philosophy, with a short hiatus into pottery, subsequently a J.D. in Law and practicing law for many years. The lo and behold I retired. At last I remembered my creative desire and I was back again in school, first in weaving (Fibers) and then Jewelry and Metals and I have been at it ever since.”
                                                                        -Chere




            Chere’s versatility in academia is clearly reflected in her artwork. For our gallery, Chere has provided overwhelmingly different styles of necklaces and earrings. While the picture above shows her affinity for metals work with a touch of steam-punk aesthetics, her other works show a refinement and interest in delicate beads and stones with bright, vibrant colors. Chere’s flexibility in her creations is one of our favorite things about her pieces.   

P.S.-the beautifully crafted jewelry box that Chere's piece adorns is also available! It's made from cherry and maple by Fred Hummel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment