Thursday, March 28, 2013

Becky Solar

"Growing up in Indiana County, as the daughter of a coal-miner, and one of 9 children, supplies were limited. We painted with watercolors on the ends of newsprint rolls from the Gazette; and if there were no watercolors, with crayons, pencils, or anything else we could find."

"Collage is something I just started to do in my teens, not even knowing that it was a recognized form of art; I simply loved doing it. For a few years, I worked with stained glass, but found that stained glass and my small child didn't go well together. I needed other outlets for my creative needs and began sewing more, making costumes, window treatments, quilts, clothing, handbags, and basically anything I needed around the house."


Becky pieces together images to create an atmosphere for her works. The primary colors that she uses allow for a three-dimensional illusion. The use of a light source in her work also brings the images off of the page. 

Fruit Bowl
Collage
$199

Becky also turns her collage skills into cards. "My collages are created by hand cutting images from discarded magazines and catalogs. After almost 40 years of lying dormant, my love of collage was reawakened by exchanging artists trading cards with my talented sisters and nieces, then progressed as the result of a life changing event. Collaging allowed me to express feelings that I could not write in a journal. I was encouraged by my family and many old and new wonderful friends. I truly feel they are wind beneath my wings, in my art and in my 'New Life Journey'."

Tea Party, Heart, and Renewal
Collage Cards
$4 each

No comments:

Post a Comment